“Stay-At-Home” and “Shelter in Place” are phrases we all are having to adjust to, in this new normal we are experiencing. These measures, that have been put in place to prevent the spread of this horrible virus, have isolated us. Women, who thrive on social and relational connection, are having to find new ways to connect, encourage and minister to each other. “How do we continue studying the Word together?” “When will we be able to pray with our small group again?” and questions like these are floating around inside the heads of the women in the church.
As ministry leaders, we must take time to consider all of the angles by which we might connect women and encourage them through these lonely times, that may be filled with worry and anxiety. Though we are socially distant during these days, there are some great ways to reach out and continue to build relationships. Some of these aren’t revolutionary thoughts, but sometimes it sure is helpful to be reminded of things that can make a difference, large or small. So here are 5 ways to create a community with women in your church!
- Pray for each other! Create a prayer tree or prayer partner system where women can share burdens and concerns and know that someone specifically will be praying for them. These easy ideas have been used for generations, but certainly haven’t lost their relevancy.
- Communicate with each other! Whether you simply call the women in your church or you set up multi-person online get-togethers, make sharing life happen. You can access several free ways to accomplish this goal. Utilize group meetings or video chat apps on smartphones like Skype, Zoom, Go To Meeting, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp Messenger or Facebook Messenger. Consider writing letters or notes to women each week to encourage them. Snail mail may seem outdated, but you know what they say, “Everything Old is New Again”. It will be so nice to receive a kind letter or note in a mailbox filled with advertisements and bills!
- Get in the Word Together! Dive into reading and studying the Bible together. Utilize the F260 Bible reading plan on the YouVersion Bible App, add friends and interact together on the app. Create a small group study using the First 5 app and tag and invite other friends to join in. Go online and access one of the free Lifeway Women’s Bible studies that are available now through June 18th and discuss the teaching videos through a video chat.
- Have Some Fun Together! Put together a virtual trivia game with a group of friends! Create a Private Facebook Group and have a cooking, baking or crafting at-home challenge. Post videos or pics online and chat about your successes or potential bombs!
- Create an Online Support Group! This period of isolation has changed so many things. Connect women virtually as they navigate through similar struggles. Topics can range from serious burdens like caring for a loved one or dealing with addiction to more lighthearted topics like ideas for family time, homeschooling kids while the schools observe e-learning or even how to stretch a dollar while feeling the economic effects of COVID-19.