It is the beginning of the school year, which means we have to get ready for fall programs and block parties, Christmas services are coming, and we cannot forget the Thanksgiving dinner. The list goes on and on and on. We know that ministry is ever present and ongoing. It keeps us busy, but does it detract from importing things?
Autumn is one of the things that God has given us to enjoy. While we must be faithful and obedient, working hard, in the ministry to which we are each called, we must also have moments of rest, enjoyment, and reflection. Here are some ideas to help you enjoy the fall time here in Indiana.
- Go and cheer on your local high school football team
- Carve pumpkins with your kids or grandkids
- Go on a hayride
- Apple picking and making apple cider
- Invite some friends over for smores and a campfire (hobo pies are good too!)
- Hike some of the nature preserves
- Covered Bridge Festival in Parke County October 14-23
- SCBI Annual Summit at Highland Lakes Baptist Camp October 24-25
- Visit a corn maze
- Plan a picnic day at the park
- Take an early morning or late evening walk in the crisp air
- Cuddle up with a warm blanket by the fire and read a book (for fun!)
- Visit a lake to watch the sun rise while you spend some quiet time with the Lord
- Start a journal and note all the wonderful things you enjoy about fall
Whatever you decide to do, do not waste this time of year. Now is the time to enjoy life. God gave you this time to enjoy and worship the Creator as you do so. If you are a pastor in the state, remember, you have two days each year that you can stay at Highland Lakes Camp for free. Contact the campground, use the hiking trails, get away from everything and enjoy the quiet and beautiful camp God has blessed us to use.
Until next time, may God bless you.
Pastor, Hilltop Community Church